Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Meager

Holy crap, I can't believe it's been a month since I posted anything new here.  I got busy with some other stuff and it took a while to find my way back to my art supplies!

Luckily I'm on a break now between classes, I don't have to coach soccer anymore, and my part-time job is ending in a week.  So now I'll only have one full-time job!!!!  I'm pretty excited about that.  That will hopefully leave more time for getting my hands dirty with bright colours and fun projects.  Oh, also laundry. Aaaaaalways laundry.

In the meantime, I've been dreaming of smoothing colours together, creating shadows and lines, and playing in my art journal to try some different things.  Hopefully that will all come to pass really soon.

Lately all I've "made" is this one drawing of my daughter Joelle.  She was finally sitting still long enough to catch a decent likeness.  Actually she was watching America's Funniest Videos and laughing her ass off, but in between giggles, I caught her "concentrating" face.


Is it just me, or does she remind you of Penny from Inspector Gadget??



Huh.

Anyway, today? There I was walking along, minding my own business, when I suddenly saw something that literally made me do a double-take and go back to see what it was.  Local artist Chris Reid had some of her work set up in this tiny little room at the University of Winnipeg. What caught my eye was a 5-foot painting of some angry flying pieces of toast.  She has some of her other work set up at the Ukrainian Cultural Centre - if you have time and you're downtown you should check it out.  Her colours are amazing - bright and vibrant and wait, do bright and vibrant mean the same thing?  Well, they're really great and eye-catching and imaginative, unlike my vocabulary tonight.  You'll like them.  I especially liked the houses with chicken legs.  Here, check this out:


Seeing it this tiny doesn't do it any justice, it is seriously an unbelievably cool piece of art.

More soon, I promise. I have to go put some clothes in the dryer, then investigate why the children aren't making any noise. I'm deeply suspicious.

xoxo
Love Shelley!

1 comment:

  1. Oh i would totally go see that if I was in winnipeg instead of edmonton. I love the drawing of your daughter you did a great job

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you think...